Sunday, May 03, 2009





Rosella Eximius


Rosella Eximius (Platycerus Eximius), also named as Eastern Rosella, Golden Mantled Rosella. A colorful bird with gentle and pleasant chirping or whistling sound. Many years ago, when there was no Bird Flu around, I used to keep one of this bird. It is one of my favorite pet birds. It is very gentle in nature, hardly bite you, and could be tamed easily.

Scientifically, it belongs to the Psittacidae family, and member of the sub-family Psittacinae. The genus Platycercus means “broad” or “flat-tailed.” This species is one of eight rosella parrots with characteristic cheek-patches and mottling on their backs. There are three subspecies of Platycercus eximius.

It eats on various types of seeds, and is very active if it is healthy.

Since Bird Flu is around, I dropped my bird keeping hobby, but could not stop admiring the beauty of this bird. I bought a 18 inch sculpture of this bird and put it in my sitting room display cabinet for good memories.

No comments: