Tuesday, February 02, 2010

REX THEATRE

Rex Theatre accompanied me during my younger days. I still remember that I used to watch the Sunday Morning Show at this theatre very often. In those days, the price of the tickets ranged from 50 cents, one dollar and one dollar fifty cents. Fifty cents is for front stall, one dollar is for back stall and one fifty for circle seats. There were lots of black marketing activities then. We were unable to queue up for tickets, but to buy them from the gangs there with a higher price. But as the show starts, the black market tickets holders will slash their price and try to push the tickets to you. I learned this fast and usually will just loitering around and wait for the show to start, then will wait for them to approach. In this way, I need not pay for a higher price for the show.

I watched quite a number of shows there. Such as Dr. No, Ben Hur, Chinese show such as Bu Liao Qing, etc. In the late 70s, if I am not wrong, Rex Theatre change it policy, and put up Hindu Show, then later, closed down and became a night club.

Last week, I walked pass it, and found that it returned to its Theatre status, but providing Hindu and Indian Film shows. It nice to see it has returned to that status.

1 comment:

Seize the Day said...

Mr. Chia, I used to live up Mount Sophia,in Adis Road,next to Nan Hua Girls Schol.So Rex theatre holds some nice memories for me too. If I recall, it was the Fuji ice skating rink at some time and the Selera curry puff stall is still there (!),