Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mr. Leong Yoon PinMr. Leong is one of the pioneer composer of Singapore Musical Arena.

Information from the Web stated: One of Singapore's best-known pioneering composers, Leong Yoon Pin completed his graduate and higher degree studies at the Guildhall School of Music and the University of Newcastle upon Tyne respectively. Leong has served as the Head of Music Dept of the Institute of Education, resident conductor of the Singapore National Orchestra and Chairman of the Singapore Composers' Circle. He is currently music arts advisor to the National Arts Council, artistic consultant to the Nanyang Technological University, Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts, the Substation and the Practice Performing Arts School. In 1982 he was awarded the prestigious Cultural Medallion for outstanding achievements in and contribution to music in Singapore. Leong also holds the distinguished honour of being the Singapore Symphony Orchestra's first composer-in-residence.

Mr. Leong is 77 years old today, he is still very active in the musical scenes. I have the pleasure to meet up with him today, and have a long chat with our pioneer music maker. He is still very involved with his music creation, despite of some hearing difficulties.

He has written a song entitled 'Marine Parade' with my poem as lyric, some twenty over years ago. He managed to get my contact and told me that he would like to meet me in person and give me a copy of this piece of work. I was honored when I heard his request, and agreed without hesitation.

Meeting up with him really is an enjoyment in life. We talked about aging, about music, about culture. We had a peaceful but rewarding session, even though this is the first time we met.

Following is the piece of work 'Marine Parade' by Mr. Leong Yoon Pin. I have his permission to upload it here.


3 comments:

沈璧浩 said...

Please invite him to our Arts Station activities next time. I think Quek Yong Siu also know him well.

Unknown said...

识英雄重英雄。

I salute the friendship between Mr. Leong and yourself.

Unknown said...

By the way, may i know what made/inspired you to write this poem ? If you don't mind me asking.