Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My Old Memory 我的古早记忆

When I was young, I stay at Selegie Road those three storey type of old houses. We were staying at the top floor. My mother was very strict on me and my younger brother. Both of us were not allowed to go out of the house whole day. Only when she needed to get something from the shops nearby, she would bring us along. Therefore, our past time activity was to sit near the windows and watch things past by. I spent lots of time at gazing at the scene downstairs, and notice one of the transport vehicles was with two long polling attached to the wire on top of them, and when it made a left turn into Magazine Road, the the two poles must be manual pulled away and attached to another set of wires, at the moment, sparks were jumped out when they got disconnected or connected again.
小时候住在实里基路,俗称七馬路。我们住在旧式的三层楼店屋。我们一家住在三楼。母亲那时管得我们很严。往往整天都被困在楼上。只有当她須要去附近买一些日用品时,才带我们兄弟俩同行。我们一天的活动就是对着窗口觀望。成天看着世界在自己眼前流轉。在观望的过程中,就發现这种交通工具。它有两条長長的柱子長在头上。每次从实里基路向左轉时,兩根柱子都要費人力将它拉下转道。那时就会看到电光闪出。这是我们当时惟一的視觉享受!


The following photograph I believed the photographer must have taken it at the junction of North Bridge Road and Hock Lam Street (This street already not existing). The location where Funan Centre is now. You can identify the distant light house tower at Fort Canning.
下图可能是在小坡大馬路和福南街交界处拍的.你还可以看到远处福康宁山上的灯塔.可能是现今的福南中心所在地吧.

This was the oldest bus model I could remember. It was like a bone shaker, and very smoky! Used to operate in the rural areas. By looking at this photo, it could look like Chai Chee. But I am not very sure, as I was not the one who took this photo. Anyway, most of the rural areas looked like this during my time. The coconut farms were charming.
这是我记忆中最古老的巴士.它常川行于鄉村小道.从像片的背景看耒,它好像是在漳宜菜市一带的郊区拍的.因为像片不是我拍的,所以我不能肯定.但看到巴士後面的那片椰林,就开心了.何時我们再有如此青葱且熱带的风景?

Great World, one of the famous amusement parks in our time. The other two were New World and Happy World. I still remember when mother brought us there, it must be a big deal, as we need to hire a trishaw from Selegie Road to here. I still remember once entered it main gate, on the right side, you would find Flamingo Cabaret and Sky Theatre. Walked straight on from the main gain, at the centre of the park, you will find lots of games store and small shops.
大世界,是其中一个有名的娱乐中心.其他两个是:新世界和快乐世界.对我们兄弟俩来说,每次母亲带我们去都成一件大事.因为我们得坐三轮车从七马路去.我还记得从大世界正门进入之後,往右走不久,就会看到红鶴夜总会和青天大戲院.如果不向右走,而直线前行,就会看到许多游戲小摊和一些卖百貨的店子.

Cathy Cinema, one of my favourite theatres. I used to patronize it on Saturday or Sunday morning shows. The other theatre will be Rex Theatre. That time the front stall ticket was only 50 cents. Lots of John Wayne's show were watched during that time. Gone were all these majestic theatres.
國泰戲院,我小时常去光顧的一间戲院。当我十二三岁时,我常到国泰或丽士戲院看周末的早場。那時早場的前座门票才五角钱。在那里,我看了好多铁漢莊榮的牛仔戲。


This is the nearest photo I could find from a old photography stores, it shows the palm garden of Sea View Hotel. You can imagine how beautiful it was at Katong beach.
这是我惟一从旧貨摊找到,最接近我迷恋致今的加東海滩的像片。这是旧海景酒店的園景。加東海滩的美景比它还要绮丽的多呢!呵!我那失去的海滩!

No comments: