Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My Old Singapore Sceneries

I was interested in photography as young as 13 of age. At the age of 14, I managed to save up and bought a China made Seagull twin lens box camera, and started to capture the scenery around me. These are the photographs that I found in my oldest black and white album. I decided to post them here to share with my generation as well as the younger ones. With friends around my age, I believe some of the scenes captured here would stir up lots of old memories of your own.


For the younger generation, I believe you would never see this building, as it was demolished in the early 70s. This is the Van Cleef Aquarium, one of the biggest aquarium in Singapore at that time. It collected most of the South East Asia fish species, big and small. It is also one of the famous past time location for Singaporeans.

Victoria Memorial Hall. This was the place for main stream Art Exhibitions. It was also the centre of the performing arts at our time, before National Theatre was built.

National Theatre. It was built to be one of the largest open air theatre in this region. Lots of great performance were presented there. Unfortunately, it was demolished due to structural failure. It was one of the landmarks in Singapore.

This was the taken at Fort Canning Park in the late 60s. The back ground was Tank Road, you still see the low building these days, it is the Teo Chew Hui Guan (Clan Association). The tall building behind was demolished, and turned into Emperor Hotel, but was demolished and rebuilt into service apartment. The young fellow in front is me at my 18s.

Clifford Pier at the old days, you see the water boat anchor there.

This was the famous General Post Office Head Office, now turn into one of the world class hotel and named as 'Fullerton One'.

Most of these photographs were taken between 1963 to 1969. The actual dates were unable to located.


The followings were taken sometimes in the mid 70s. At that time, Shears Bridge was built, as you can see it from a distance from this photo.

Taken this shot from Columbo Court top floor.


Sungei Kudut was a beautiful place then, look at this photo, the scene was so calm and peaceful.

No comments: