Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My School Days 我的学子生活

I believed my happiest days were in school. There were no much worries except for the weaker subjects. I spent most of my time in the basket ball activities. So much so, that few of us in the class formed our own basket ball team, and compete with other schools basket ball team. We name our team as 'Si Fei 四非', it was from the Chinese character 'Sin' (罪), we broke the character into two parts and gotten the name for our team. The photograph below depicts our group shot at our school basketball court with our famous PE teacher Mr. Zhiang (蒋才沅老师) at the center.




Most of the Saturday afternoon, after our lesson time, we used to stroll bedok beach. The sand is fine, and the breeze is soothing. I specially like the silhouette of the coconut trees. They were so poetic. This photo was taken at Simpan Bedok beach, where the Army Camps are now situated. We were still wearing our school uniforms, Anglican High School.

In 1964, during my secondary 4, I took the top prize in Poster Competition from Minister of Education Mr. Ong Pong Boon during the Speech Day. It was the first recognition for my painting skill in my life. From there onwards, it inspired me continue my search in creative art form for the rest of my life.

School Funfair is really fun for me, most of the classmates spent the night before the actual day in school and prepared for it. The next day everyone put in their best efforts to get the most income for the school fun raising project. The response that year was fantastic.

During my upper secondary days, these three classmates became my best friends. They are Sim Kok Kin (Second from the left), Ho Kam Chiew (Second from the right) and Yang Liang Yuen (Extreme right). Sim has the best knowledge in science and maths, he became our tutor in these two subjects. We used to stay in Sim's house during the examination periods to study. He stayed in the rural Chai Chee Village, where pig farms and vegetable farms were.

The following portrait was taken at Raffles Studio at Bras Brasah Road in 1964. I used it for my graduation magazine.

No comments: